Print Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
Share!Mention @fusedbyfionauyema or tag #fused!
For Chicken Katsu
- 2 chicken breasts
- Flour for coating
- 1 egg beaten
- Panko for coating shop
- Vegetable oil for frying
For Udon with Vegetables
To make the chicken katsu (breaded chicken breast)
- Cut the chicken breasts into a butterfly cut (this will allow the chicken to cook through faster in the oil).
- Prepare the flour, beaten egg and panko on three separate plates. Then coat the chicken breasts in flour, dip in the beaten egg and cover in panko.
- Heat enough oil for deep-frying in a heavy-based saucepan to 170ºC. To check if the oil is hot enough, place a bit of panko into the oil. If it’s the right temperature the panko will rise to the top of the oil, sizzle and fry but not brown immediately.
- Gently place the breaded chicken breasts into the oil. Fry for a few minutes until the panko turns a nice golden brown colour and then turn over and fry for another few minutes. Remove from the oil and place on kitchen paper.
- Cut into thick slices while still hot. Set aside while you make the Udon with Vegetables.
- Place sliced Chicken Katsu on top of Udon and serve.
Chicken Katsu is certainly an all-time favourite both in Japan and abroad. I remember hearing that it’s one of the most popular Japanese dishes served in Japanese restaurants outside Japan. Adding Chicken Katsu t to the Udon with Vegetables makes this dish a meat alternative to the vegetarian dish and a more substantial meal that is perfect for a hungry family at dinner.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!