This is the perfect recipe to get familiar with the key ingredients used to make sushi without the pressure of rolling sushi! Chirashi Sushi is a colourful and fun way to enjoy the delicious ingredients used in sushi by mixing them through the rice and on top of the rice. The presentation of this dish is always impressive if entertaining at home especially if you can finish the dish with caviar (Goatsbridge Irish Caviar).
This dish is sometimes called “Chirashi don/ donburi” or “Chirashi bowl” when served in restaurants.
Chirashi Sushi - scattered sushi
For the sushi fillings and toppings
- 2 eggs beaten
- Few handfuls of your favourite vegetables (mixed peppers, shiitake mushroom, blanched spinach) cut into bitesize pieces
- 1 avocado or mango cut into small cubes
- 8 large cooked prawns cut into bitesize pieces
- 100 grams your favourite fish/seafoodd mix (e.g. crabmeat, tuna, salmon etc) raw or cooked
- First, go to my post on "How to make sushi rice" as you will need this for step 3 of the instructions.
- To make the egg crêpe for the yellow ribbons to decorate the top of the sushi rice, lightly oil a non-stick frying pan with vegetable oil and place on a medium to high heat. Depending on the size of your pan, place about half the beaten egg on the frying pan so you have a very thin layer of egg like a crêpe. Now adjust the heat to low and leave the egg on the pan until the edges of the egg crêpe start to break away from the pan. Transfer to a large plate and set aside. Continue to do this until all the beaten egg is cooked. Place the egg crêpes on top of each other as they are cooked. When you’re finished, roll the pile of egg crêpes together. Then using a sharp knife cut into thin ribbons.
- Allow the seasoned sushi rice to cool to room temperature, and then mix half of your favourite mixed vegetables, avocado or mango and prawns into the rice. Place in a large serving dish.
- Scatter the remaining ingredients on top of the rice mix including the remaining mixed vegetables, your favourite seafood such as crabmeat and most importantly the egg ribbons.
- For extra flavour lightly drizzle sesame oil and soy sauce all over and garnish with sesame seeds.