Servings: 4 sushi rolls
- 2 sushi mats
- Cling film
- A small water bowl
- A damp clean cloth
- A sharp knife
- Sushi Rice see recipe
- 2 sheets nori cut in half
- 1 cucumber cut in half & remove seeds
- 2 avocado
- 2 tbsp caviar optional
- 1 lemon
- 8 tempura or panko prawns shop-bought or for homemade recipe click on the link in notes below
Prepare the sushi mat
- Wrap one sushi mat in clingfilm to prevent the rice from sticking. Prepare a small bowl of water and a clean damp cloth – you’ll need these while you’re rolling sushi.
- Lay half a sheet of nori on a sushi mat (use the sushi mat with no clingfilm), shiny-side-down and with the lines in the nori running vertically. Place a quarter of the sushi rice on the nori (100g). Use lightly moistened fingertips to gently spread the rice evenly over the nori sheet, and then sprinkle over the sesame seeds or furikake
- Place the second sushi mat over the rice and press firmly but gently to secure the riceonto the nori sheet. Flip the sushi mats around so the mat originally facing up is now facingdown and remove the top mat. The rice should be facing down and the nori facing up. Set aside while you prepare the fillings.
To prepare the sushi fillings and avocado toppings:
- Cut the cucumber in half and remove all seeds. Then cut each half length into 4 pieces, giving you 8 pieces.
- Cut the avocado in half and scoop out the avocado half using a spoon, then using a sharp knife slice thinly. Squeeze lemon juice over the avocado to stop it browning. Place the side of your sharp knife against the sliced avocado and press gently until the sliced avocado is the length of the sushi roll.
- Place all the ingredients (i.e. prawns, cucumber and caviar) in a straight line on the nori sheet. Hold the nearest end of the mat with your index fingers and thumbs. Use the rest of your fingers to hold the ingredients in place. Roll the mat forward to bring the nori and rice wrap around the fillings. Press down firmly but gently to create a roll shape.
- To finish the roll, pull the end of the mat with one hand and continue to push the roll forward with the other hand (if some ingredients fall out the sides simply push them back in and don’t worry if the edges of the roll look untidy). Wrap the mat around the sushi roll to form a secure roll shape.
- Using the side of your sharp knife place the avocado slices on the top of the sushi roll.
- Place clingfilm over the sushi roll and then put the bamboo mat over it. Gently squeeze the roll until the avocado slices wrap around the sushi.
- Transfer the clingfilm-wrapped roll to a chopping board and cut in half with a sharp knife. Wipe the knife clean with a damp cloth and continue to halve each piece until you have eight pieces. Remove the cling film before transferring to a serving plate.
- Make three more rolls in the same way
- To serve, decorate the top of the sushi roll with caviar, sesame seeds and spicy mayo (mix together Japanese Kewpie mayo & Fused Cheeky Soy Sauce) .
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!