Servings: 4 people
For the sushi rice ingredients and instructions follow the link here
- Sushi mat per person
- 4 nori sheets
- Cooked prawns (pull to straighten)
- Avocado cut into strips
- Raw salmon get from a reputable fishmonger
- Tinned tuna mixed with mayo
- Cucumber cut into strips
- Fused chopped ginger
To serve with the sushi
- Fused Soy Sauce
- Fused Chopped Ginger
How to make the sushi rice, click here
Put the sushi rice on the nori
- Place a sheet of nori shiny-side down and the lines in the nori running vertical on a rolling mat. Cut off the top piece of the nori as shown in the picture below to get the perfect sized maki roll. Put a few drops of vinegar in a bowl of water and use this to wet your hands when applying the rice to the nori to avoid the rice sticking to your hands. Using the spatula divide the rice in the tray into four quarters using one quarter for each nori sheet. Gently spread the rice over the nori sheet trying not to press on the rice too hard. Spread the rice to the edges of the nori and leave a 2 cm gap at the top of the seaweed as shown in the picture below.
Put the fillings on the rice as shown in the pictures below
Start to roll
- Using both hands hold the filling in place with your fingers then use your index fingers and thumbs to start to roll the mat forward and bring the nori over the filling. Now, press down firmly but gently to create a roll shape. To form the complete maki roll pull the end of the mat with one hand and continue to push the roll forward with the other hand (if some ingredients fall out the sides just push them back in and don’t worry if the edges of the roll look untidy as this is ok). Remove the mat from the roll.
Cut the roll
- Place the roll on a chopping board and using a sharp knife cut in half (try to only cut in one direction). Then, using a damp clean cloth wipe the knife clean and continue to cut the two halves into four pieces and then cut the four pieces in half leaving you with eight pieces altogether.Place on a plate and serve with pickled ginger, wasabi and soy sauce.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!