Chicken or Prawn Gyoza
- 25-30 gyoza skins also called wrappers
- Bowl of water for sealing the dumplings
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 80 ml cold water for steaming
- Sesame oil to season
Ingredients for the filling
Ingredients for the dipping sauce
- 2 tablespoons Fused Clever Classic soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- a few drops of chilli oil (la-yu) or Fused Cheeky Chilli soy sauce to add spice
A: How to make the dumplings
- Mix all the ingredients for the gyoza filling in a bowl together and set aside.
- Place the gyoza skins, a clean water bowl, teaspoon and large serving dish on the counter top before you start making the dumplings.
- Place a gyoza skin on the palm of your hand, take a heaped teaspoon of the filling and place it in the centre of the gyoza skin.
- Moisten the edge of the upper half of the gyoza skin by dipping your finger in the bowl of water and sliding it along the edge.
- Fold the bottom half of the gyoza skin over the filling so that it meets the moistened upper half
- Start to pleat by folding the edges (make one pleat in the middle and two pleats at either side)
- Press firmly on all pleats to ensure that the ingredients are secure within the gyoza skin.
B: How to cook the dumplings
- Heat oil on a non-stick frying pan on medium to high heat.
- Place the gyoza on the pan and fry until the base of the gyoza is slightly golden.
- Pour cold water around the edges of the pan and cover with a lid. Leave cooking for 10 minutes or until almost all of the water has evaporated.
- Remove the lid and continue to fry until the water is fully absorbed.
- Finally, drizzle sesame oil over the gyoza and fry until the base of the gyoza is golden brown.
- Serve with the Fused soy sauce and rice vinegar dipping sauce.
Go to Fused online shop to see Fused range of real soy sauces with no MSG, no nasties & no refined sugar. Free delivery on orders over €25