Homemade Granola With Matcha
This is a great way to start your day with the power of matcha (green powder tea), an ingredient I was introduced to in Japan.
- 200 g oats
- A few handfuls of your favourite mixed nuts almonds, pinenuts & seeds (e.g. pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, linseeds)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (heaped)
- 2 tbsp honey (heaped)
- 1 tsp matcha or turmeric
- Mix of dried fruit (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the oats in a large flat pyrex dish.
- Toss in the nuts and mix well together.
- Over a low to medium heat melt the coconut oil and honey in a small saucepan.
- Once melted stir well and pour evenly over the oats and nuts.
- Use a large spoon to completely cover the oats and nuts in the coconut oil and honey.
- Place in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes (during this time stir a few times).
- Remove from the oven and once cool, add the matcha (or turmeric) powder and mix well.
- Add a mix of dried fruit or alternatively use fresh fruit.
- To serve, add a few large spoonfuls of the granola to a cereal bowl and serve with natural yoghurt.
Matcha slowly releases caffeine compared to coffee. I've recently tried this recipe with another superfood "turmeric" and it works just as well. This can be packed and eaten on the go using an old jam jar. Enjoy!