- A sushi mat
- A small water bowl
- A damp clean cloth
- A sharp knife
- (I’ve listed my favourite for this type of roll. All the ingredients should be cut into thin long strips)
- Asparagus blanched
- Avocado ripened, coated in fresh lemon juice to avoid browning
- Mango ripened
- Smoked trout
- Raw salmon/tuna
- Cooked chicken strips
- Fused Soy Sauce to serve shop
- Wasabi to serve
- Pickled ginger to serve
- Place half a sheet of nori shiny-side down with the lines in the nori running vertical on a sushi mat.
- Dip your fingertips in the water bowl and shake off any excess water.
- Take a large spoonful of rice (80g) and using your fingertips gently spread the rice over the nori sheet trying not to press on the rice too hard. Spread the rice to the edges of the nori, leaving a 2cm gap at the top of the seaweed.
- Place the ingredients in a straight line on the nori sheet. Hold the nearest end of the mat with your index fingers and thumbs. Use the rest of your fingers to hold the ingredients in place. Roll the mat forward to bring the nori and rice wrap around the fillings. Press down firmly but gently to create a roll shape.
- To finish the roll, pull the end of the mat with one hand and continue to push the roll forward with the other hand.
- Place the roll on a chopping board and using a sharp knife cut in half (try to cut only in one direction. Then, using a damp clean cloth, wipe the knife clean and continue to cut the two halves into four pieces and then cut the four pieces in half, which leaves you with eight pieces altogether.
- Make seven more rolls in the same way. Each serving should consist of sixteen pieces. Serve with Fused Soy Sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger.
To help with your shopping, you can pick up a few of the ingredients from this recipe, such as sushi rice or nori sheets, on the shop on my website at FusedbyFiona.com. I also highly recommend checking out your local Asian store, which there are many around the country. Please get in touch if you need any help sourcing ingredients.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!