Servings: 4 people
For the chicken katsu:
- 4 chicken breasts
- 4 tbsp flour for coating
- 2 eggs beaten
- 200 g panko breadcrumbs for coating
- olive oil for baking
For Katsu curry sauce*
- *OR use 100ml Fused Katsu Curry Stir Fry Sauce OR 3 tbsp Fused Katsu Curry Paste mixed with coconut milk to make a sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp pure apple juice
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 4 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp Fused Clever Classic Soy Sauce shop
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp tomato ketchup
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper optional, to add spice
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 300 ml cold water
For the chicken katsu:
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Cut the chicken breasts into a butterfly cut (this will allow the chicken to cook through faster in the oil).
- Prepare the flour, beaten egg and panko on three separate plates. Then coat the chicken breasts in flour, dip in the beaten egg and cover in panko.
- Lightly coat the breaded chicken breasts slices in olive oil and arrange on a baking tray
- Bake in the oven for 20 mins until the panko breadcrumbs on one side turn a nice golden brown colour. Turn over and bake for another few minutes.
- Remove from the oven when the coating is fully golden and crisp and the chicken is cooked all the way through, and set aside.
For the curry sauce (homemade recipe below or shop for Fused Katsu Curry Sauce)
- Melt the butter on a low heat in a saucepan, then add all the ingredients except the flour and mix well. Continue to cook on a low heat for 10 minutes to bring out the flavours of the spices.
- Add the flour and mix well to make the curry roux. Take off the heat and let cool (this can be frozen and used later).
- Place the roux and cold water in a saucepan and mix well with a whisk or fork before turning the heat to medium and cooking for about 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens to your liking (continue to stir while cooking).
- Cut each chicken breast into thick slices and serve on a plate with freshly steamed rice, a generous drizzle of curry sauce and Fused Chopped Ginger if you have it.
Go to Fused online shop to see Fused range of premium Asian ingredients and sauces including Katsu Curry Sauce with no MSG, no nasties & no refined sugar. Free delivery on orders over €45
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!