I’m delighted to be acting as an Ambassador for the European Lamb Campaign. After growing up on a small sheep farm I learned to appreciate how sheep farming supports local communities.
The quality of lamb meat is superior as lambs graze on a varied diet of grasses, wild herbs and fresh vegetation which help develop that unmistakable flavour.
Lamb is such a versatile meat which works well with all types of cuisines. My favourite way to cook with lamb is to add a delicate Asian twist. This lamb burger recipe has become a tasty weeknight go to dish in our home. Using lamb meat for homemade burgers gives the best results. The lamb meat and light Asian flavours work really well together. This recipe can be cooked in the oven or on the barbeque over the summer months. I hope it becomes one of your weekly favourites too!
Japanese Style Lamb Burger
Makes 4–5 burgers
2 tablespoons passata
1 tablespoon sake (or cherry)
1 tablespoon Japanese soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 egg, beaten
300g lamb mince
Handful of panko breadcrumbs
1 red chilli, finely diced
Rapeseed oil, for baking tray
Bun, mixed salad, red onion, sliced cheese & mayo, to serve
- Preheat a fan oven to 180ºC.
- Mix the passata, sake, soy sauce and honey in a bowl. Transfer half of the sauce to another bowl and set aside.
- Add the beaten egg to the remaining half of the sauce in the bowl and mix well.
- Toss in the lamb mince, panko and chilli and mix well.
- Using your hands shape the meat mix into burger patties. This should make four or five depending on the size.
- Brush the baking tray and the burgers with oil. Put the burgers on the baking tray and place in the preheated oven.
- Cook for about 25 minutes, turning only once during this time and pouring the remaining half of the sauce over the top of the burgers in the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Serve in a bun with mixed salad, red onion, sliced cheese and mayo.
summer, bbq, recipe, burger, easy, quick, healthy, dublin, ireland, uk, london, foodie, cooking, donal skehan, jamie oliver, 10 minute recipe, 15 minute recipe, lamb recipes, grilled, barbeque, big grill festival, bloggers, fitness