Makes 6 cupcakes
For the cupcake mix
2 eggs (preferably free range)
125g caster sugar
125g soft butter
125g self raising flour
1 tsp matcha powder
For the matcha icing
200g Icing sugar
2 tablespoons matcha
100g soft butter cubes
Matcha Pocky, to decorate (available in Asian supermarkets)
- Preheat a fan oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahreinheit).
- Sieve the flour and matcha together a few times to make sure the matcha powder is completely mixed into the flour.
- Whisk all the ingredients for the cupcake mix in an electric mixer for a few minutes or until it’s well mixed together.
- Place the cupcake cases in the baking tin. Using a large spoon to fill the cases over half-way with the batter.
- Place in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the cakes are well risen and firm on top. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the green icing, sieve the icing sugar and matcha together a few times to make sure the matcha powder is completely mixed into the icing sugar.
- Using an electric whisk, beat together the butter cubes and icing sugar until smooth and creamy. Finally add the milk and continue to whisk for a few more minutes.
- Use a piping bag to decorate the top of the cupcakes with the green icing.
- Break a few pocky sticks in half and place on top of the cupcake to finish decorating.