- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 400 g chicken breasts cut into small chunks
- 4 tbsp butter or more oil
- 2 large onions finely sliced
- 2 tsp Fused Chopped Garlic
- 2 tsp Fused Chopped Ginger
- 3 tbsp Fused Chinese Curry Paste
- 2 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 300 g potatoes peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- 150 g spinach
- 150 g frozen peas
- 100 ml coconut cream regular cream also works well
- 1 pack pack puff pastry (good quality) rolled into a circle slightly bigger than your dish
- 2 tsp nigella or sesame seeds to top
- 1 egg yolk to glaze
- 4 portions streamed rice & green veg to serve (optional)
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 8.
- On a hob, heat the oil over a medium heat in a shallow flameproof casserole dish roughly 30cm wide. Add the chicken pieces and fry for 5 mins, until golden but not fully cooked. Remove from the pan and set aside on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Heat butter (or more oil) in the same dish over a medium-low heat, then add the onions and a big pinch of salt. Fry for 15 mins, or until softened and caramelised.
- Stir in the garlic and ginger, cook for 1 min, then add the curry paste and fry until fragrant.
- Add tinned tomatoes into the pan with 1½ cans of water, then stir through the sugar and potatoes. Bring to the boil, lower to a simmer, then cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20-25 mins or until the potato is just tender.
- Add the spinach and peas, and cook for 5 mins. Stir in the coconut cream, then return the chicken to the pan and season to taste.
- Remove from the heat and cover with the puff pastry lid, pressing into the sides of the casserole dish. Lightly slice a criss-cross pattern across the pastry, brush with the egg yolk, sprinkle with the nigella or sesame seeds and bake for 30-35 mins or until deep golden brown.
- When fully cooked, leave to rest for 15 mins before serving with rice and green veg.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!