Servings: 8 onigiri
- 250g salmon teriyaki recipe here
For the Onigiri
- Cooked Japanese white rice
- 2 rice cooker-measured cups of uncooked rice, 320g
- A bowl of cold water (for dampening your hands to make the rice balls)
- Salt (preferably freshly ground sea salt)
- 1 sheet of nori (make 8 strips by folding it in half, then a quarter, then one-eighth and then tear it with your hands or alternatively cut into 8 pieces using kitchen scissors or a sharp knife) shop
- Add Salom Teriyaki fillets to a bowl and using a fork, shred the salmon slightly into flakes. Set bowl aside.
How to make the Onigiri
- Leave the piping hot cooked rice aside for a minute or so to avoid burning your hands.
- Dip your hands into the bowl of water and sprinkle salt on the palms of your hands.
- Take a handful of rice and, using both hands, shape it into an oval shape. Then, using your thumb, make a hollow in the middle of the rice ball, deep enough to fit one tablespoon of the salmon teriyaki.
- Place the salmon teriyaki in the hollow. Gently fold the walls of the rice ball over the filling until it is completely covered.
- Using both hands shape the rice ball into a triangular or oval shape, pressing firmly on the rice so it’s secure and won’t fall apart.
- Take one of the strips of nori and wrap around the bottom of the rice ball.
- Continue to make the rice balls until all the rice and salmon is used.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!