Print Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
Share!Mention @fusedbyfionauyema or tag #fused!
- 400 g large king prawns
- vegetable oil for frying
- 100 g Fused Sweet Chilli Stir Fry Sauce dip
- 1 egg
- 1 cup ice water
- 1 cup plain flour
For the Tempura Batter
- Place the egg in a medium-sized bowl and beat using chopsticks or whisk.
- Pour the ice cold water into the bowl and mix with the egg.
- Sieve the plain flour into the water and egg mix. Mix lightly leaving small lumps in the mixture (at this stage you could sit the medium sized bowl filled with the batter into a larger bowl filled with ice to keep the batter cold).
For the prawns
- Remove the head and the shell, leave the tail and de-vein using a tooth pick. Then, make a few little cuts with a sharp knife on the belly and back of the prawn and pull the prawn to straighten.
- Place the prawns on a large plate and dust lightly with sieved flour on both sides.
How to cook tempura
- Heat the oil to 180 degrees Celsius. To check the oil is hot enough, drop a small bit of batter into the oil and if it comes up right away then the oil temperature is ok.
- Gently dip a prawn into the batter, shake off the excess batter and place in the oil. Only fry a few prawns in the oil at the time to ensure that the oil temperature remains hot. The prawns should be turned only a few times until they have a nice light golden colour. This usually takes a few minutes.
- Place the fried tempura on a plate lined with kitchen towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Serve this dish immediately with Fused Sweet Chilli Sauce. I normally serve the tempura on a large serving platter with the dipping sauce so everyone can help themselves.
- Add a dash of sake (Japanese rice wine) or even Guinness for an Irish twist to the batter mix to add taste and also to make the batter more crispy.
- Place the water in the freezer until it is very cold before mixing with the egg. This helps make the batter light and crispy.
Try tempura with a bowl of soba noodles or udon noodles instead of rice.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!