- 2 fresh mackerel fillets
- sea salt, freshly ground
- vegetable oil
- soy sauce
- freshly grated ginger or daikon (mooli)
- Generously season the mackerel fillets with sea salt on both sides and set aside.
- Pour some vegetable oil into a non-stick frying pan and set the heat at medium to high.
- Once the pan is hot, place the mackerel fillets into it skin-side down and fry for a few minutes depending on the size. Then turn over and cook the other side for another few minutes until cooked through. The skin should be nice and crispy.
- Serve with soy sauce drizzled over either freshly grated ginger or daikon.
The mackerel is so full of flavour that it can be eaten with just plain rice or it can be served with soy sauce drizzled over grated daikon (mooli). Daikon is a radish that resembles a large white carrot. If you can’t find daikon for this recipe you can use ginger instead. A little tip: If you have time, leave the salt on the fish for 10–20 minutes. Pat dry with kitchen paper before frying.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!