Servings: 4 people
For the rice:
- 320 grams Japanese rice uncooked
For the sushi vinegar - you can use shop bought "sushi vinegar" or make your own sushi vinegar (see below)
- 100 ml Japanese rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the rice:
- First, go to my post on "How to cook Japanese rice" as you will need freshly steamed rice to make sushi rice. Sushi rice is basically freshly steamed Japanese rice seasoned with sushi vinegar.
For the sushi vinegar - you can use shop bought "sushi vinegar" or make your own (see below):
- Combine the rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a saucepan and dissolve over a low heat for a few minutes (avoid boiling). Take off the heat and allow to cool.
To season the freshly steamed rice with sushi vinegar:
- To season the freshly steamed rice, transfer to a shallow pyrex dish with a flat base. Sprinkle the cooled sushi vinegar evenly over the rice and use a rice spatula (or flat wooden spoon) to fold and turn the rice covering each grain in the sushi vinegar. Do this gently and take care not to break the rice grains. Use a fan or a piece of cardboard to fan the rice to cool it to room temperature as quickly as possible and absorb the excess sushi vinegar.
- If you’re not using the sushi rice immediately then cover it with a damp cloth and store in a cool place (avoid putting it in the fridge as this will harden the rice and ideally sushi rice should be served at room temperature).
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!