Making sushi at home is so much fun and has the added benefit of being more economical and super fresh. Once you follow my step by step instructions you’ll master this recipe and impress your friends and family!
Servings: 4 people
- 320 grams Japanese rice uncooked
- 100 ml Japanese rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- First, go to my post on "How to cook Japanese rice" as you will need freshly steamed rice for step 3 of the instructions.
- Combine the rice vinegar and sugar in a non-aluminium saucepan and dissolve over a medium heat for a few minutes (avoid boiling). Stir in the salt, take off the heat and allow to cool.
- To season the freshly steamed rice, transfer to a shallow pyrex dish with a flat base. Sprinkle the cooled sushi vinegar evenly over the rice and use a rice spatula to fold and turn the rice covering each grain in the sushi vinegar. Do this gently and take care not to break the rice grains. Use a fan or a piece of cardboard to fan the rice to cool it to room temperature as quickly as possible and absorb the excess sushi vinegar.
- If you’re not using the sushi rice immediately then cover itwith a damp cloth and store in a cool place (avoid putting it in the fridge as this will harden the rice and ideally sushi rice should be served at room temperature).
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!